Friday, February 5, 2010

All the mocha lattes, you gotta do Pilates...

Well, turns out Kanye knew what he was talking about when he referenced Pilates in his song, "The New Workout Plan". As you know, or may not know, my first love is running - but I seem to have re-occuring injuries whenever I start upping mileage and/or training for a race. I have injured everything from the hip down...IT band, to knees, to shin splints, black toenails...not a fun list, and definitely not fun to deal with when you are running upwards of 8-10 miles. So since I just started training again for the Country Music Half Marathon, (with my wonderful running buddies, Mauri and Jenn) I have decided to try something completely new for my 'cross-training' days.

We are running with a group through Fleet Feet, (an awesome running shoe store here in Brentwood). The schedule calls for running 3 days a week- 2 shorter runs (3-6 miles) during the week and a longer run (6-14 miles) on Saturdays. It is recommended that you do some sort of low-impact cross training on the other days - swimming, weights, spin class, etc. Well, weights and the elliptical are getting really old so I looked into some alternatives and discovered the pilates reformer! It is amazing! The Y offers traditional Pilates mat classes, where you are just on a mat on the floor - but they have recently started offering Pilates reformer classes, which are on a machine instead. I have seen these machines on info commercials featuring Chuck Norris, so I figured they MUST be legit, right?! I think Chuck Norris actually invented Pilates...

The first two intro classes were relatively easy, very different than anything I have ever done before. The moves focus intensely on your core - your abs are supposed to be engaged the entire time, during every move. They like to put a racquetball on your stomach, and if it rolls off...they call you a fatty...kidding, but its supposed help you stay tight and focused. It not only helps with strength, but helps lengthen and elongate your muscles and increase balance and flexibility. Well, I was in for a suprise because the beginner/intermediate classes took it up a notch! The moves have gotten much harder - and require a lot more flexibility. But after every class I feel amazing - its like 4 people grabbed my arms and legs and just pulled and everything stretched out and loosened up. I feel like i'm already getting stronger and the best part is that it is low-impact on your joints. I talked to my instructor and she said it would be a great compliment to running because it would keep everything nice and stretched out and help reduce the risk of injury. Anyway - just wanted to share what I was up to these days in regards to exercise. I will leave you with two videos; the first one shows basic moves and is about the level of difficulty I am at right now. The second one is bananas. This lady must be a Pilates master...I would definitely be hanging from the straps if I attempted what she is doing.



This picture is just funny and relevant to this post...

Pilates Video #1
Pilates Video #2
I just re-watched these videos...and I hope no one thinks I am a weirdo. I am realizing they look a little strange - I promise I don't listen to Enigma while I am working out!

1 comment:

Kels said...

um i've never seen this type of pilates but I want to try it! Looks like fun.

you should come do hot yoga sometime... holy bejeesus!